Expungement is the court-ordered legal process which seals or permanently erases a criminal conviction. If you have ever been convicted of a crime, arrested for a crime and not charged or suffered the misfortune of being the victim of identity theft, you know the stigma that having such information available through public records can bring.
Effective January 1, 2020
Details of such events coupled with mugshot photos and the availability of such information via the internet and background searches can prove to be devastating to individuals who truly have learned from their mistakes and are trying to move forward. Such criminal records can serve as barriers to employment, access to housing, security clearances, eligibility to adopt or foster children and more. All states offer a path to expungement in certain circumstances. New Mexico’s process as of 2020 has been expanded.
Specifically, the law allows for expungement in the following circumstances:
- Expungement of Criminal Records due to identity theft.
- Expungement of Criminal Records due to release without conviction.
- Expungement of Criminal Records upon conviction.
(after completion of sentence, payment of fines and having a specified amount of time pass since conviction)
Not Sure if you're eligible?
Need help determining if you are eligible for an expungement?
Unsure of the details to complete our expungement eligibility survey?
We can help.
The rules and process associated with the expungement are many and can be complicated or difficult for a non- lawyer to maneuver. Business Law Southwest offers a New Mexico Expungement Package. Here is what is included:
- Consultation with a Paralegal or Attorney to determine your eligibility for an expungement under New Mexico Law.
- Concise plan with detailed steps.
- Drafting of required paperwork and forms.
- Filings with Court.
- Attorney will appear with you in Court.
- Once expungement is awarded, our legal team will draft letters to request removal of damaging information and photographs from internet sites such as Mugshots.com.