Partnership, Shareholder, and Member Dispute Resolution: Dissolutions and Business Break-Ups
Even owners of the most efficiently operating and prosperous businesses decide that they want to go their separate ways. One major form of a dispute that needs resolution in the business world is a Business Break-Up. During this process, it is important to avoid emotional reactions to your business ending. When you need help sorting through a Business Break-Up, a partnership dissolution attorney at Business Law Southwest, LLC can help.
What Causes a Business Break-Up?
There is no single answer to this question. Businesses breakup for a number of reasons, including:
- One owner has interests outside the company that have caused him or her to lose interest in the operations of the business
- The company is far in debt and the company assets must be sold to repay the debt
- The owners of the company would like to go their separate ways for personal or professional reasons
When you need help navigating through the Business Break-Up process, contact a New Mexico Business Break-Up attorney at Business Law Southwest, LLC today.
When to Contact a Business Break-Up Attorney
Most of the time, there is no plan of action on how to proceed to get dispute resolution. Contact a Business Break-Up attorney when:
- You would like to have a plan for dispute resolution at the beginning of your business
- You need help with a partnership dissolution, limited liability company dissolution or corporate disbanding
- You are a minority owner who is trying to get negotiating leverage with the majority owner
- You want to evaluate the company’s assets in an attempt to sell them
- You think that business litigation over the Business Break-Up is unavoidable
Positive Case Outcome
- BLSW represented one of three doctors who formed a successful medical practice in the early 2000s. An ownership dispute arose regarding the practice, which was comprised of several entities, including a limited liability company, a corporation, and a partnership. BLSW represented one of the owners through arbitration, and obtained a favorable result at the conclusion of the arbitration.
- BLSW assisted the owner of a medical practice when an employee claimed an ownership interest in the business. BLSW successfully resolved the claim prior to the onset of litigation.
- BLSW represented four corporations and three of the corporations’ shareholders in a complicated lawsuit involving disputes regarding ownership interests and claims of fraudulent documents. After following a long document trail and performing intensive forensic discovery work, BLSW attorneys were able to negotiate a settlement of the parties’ claims prior to trial.
- BLSW represented a minority shareholder of a window distribution business after the business failed. The minority shareholder brought claims against the majority shareholder for breaching his fiduciary duty and profiting at the expense of the corporation prior to its demise. These claims were resolved at trial.
- BLSW represented a son in a family partnership dispute concerning the family’s business ventures in Gallup, New Mexico. The dispute involved two separate lawsuits between individual family members and family-owned corporations. BLSW was able to reach a settlement of all parties’ claims prior to trial.
A Business Break-Up attorney at Business Law Southwest, LLC can help you sort through all of the important issues and protect your interests during the process. Contact us today.
Schedule your Confidential Consultation
Call today to schedule your free, confidential consultation with an experienced business litigation attorney.Call Now: (505) 848-8581